Wright State Home Human Services
Education and Human Service Home
goto Academic Programs goto Student Information goto Resources goto Technology goto About the College of Education and Human Services
goto Educational Leadership goto Health Physical Education and Recreation goto Human Services goto Teacher Education goto Professional Development
Supervised Clinical Experiences

Two levels of supervised clinical work (practicum and internship) in the counseling program are required of students matriculating toward a degree in Clinical Mental Health, Marriage and Family, Rehabilitation or School Counseling. Students in the Business and Organizational Management programs are only required to complete a supervised practicum. As a trainee, students are involved in all aspects of a counselor's role as a specific site. Field sites enable students to integrate professional aspects of a counselor's role. Field settings include a variety of off-campus settings that reflect the scope and practice of professional counselors.

Semester Manuals
Human Services Student Handbook

Practicum & Internship Manuals
Click on the links below and you can view or print the appropriate manual.

RHB 8650 Rehab Graduate Practicum Manual

RHB 8670 Rehab Graduate Internship Manual

CNL 8640 Business & Organizational Management Counseling (BOMC) Graduate Practicum Manual

CNL 8650 CMHC, MFC, & SC Graduate Practicum Manual

CNL 8670 CMHC Internship Manual

CNL 8670 SC Internship Manual

CNL 8670 MFC Internship Manual

CNL 8650 & 8670 Time Log

CNL 8670 SC Word Format Time Log
Rehabilitation Services Manuals
Internship Manual
Site Supervisor Manual
Internship Requirements
Informational Flyer

If you have specific questions about the forms required by the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, & Marriage and Family Therapist Board you can call them directly.

Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, & Marriage and Family Therapist Board
50 West Broad Street, Suite 1425
Columbus, OH 43215
(614) 466-6462

Contact the Human Services Department


*View the PowerPoint presentation located on this page to learn more about how the practicum and internship process works.

Students are encouraged to explore internship experiences tailored to their individual needs and interests, in line with their own particular professional goals and talents. For School Counseling (Pupil Personnel Services Program) counselor-trainees, K-12 public schools range from urban to suburban to rural. For rehabilitation majors, the site supervisor must be a CRC or a CCDCIII for chemical dependency students. For students intending to become a Professional Clinical Counselor, the site supervisor must be licensed as an LPCC or PCC with the supervision endorsement. Supervision modalities are varied, but always include reviews of audiotapes or videotapes of a variety of counseling sessions. The immediate geographical area offers a rich array of field sites. Site locations include:

Marriage and family counseling centers
Community mental health centers
Inpatient and outpatient settings
Substance abuse treatment facilities
Hospital programs
Organizational Settings
Pastoral care
Private practice
Rehabilitation agencies
Human services agencies working with disabilities and/or the chemically dependent

Current Practicum and Internship Sites


An average of 7 clock hours per week for Fall and Spring semesters and 9 clock hours per week for summer semester are required for a minimum of 100 total clock hours on site. A minimum of 1 clock hour per week of direct face-to-face supervision with the Site Supervisor is required.

The Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling, and School Counseling Internships are 600 clock hours of on-site experience.

The Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling, and School Counseling Internships require a total of 6 graduate credits of CNL 8670. The student is required to complete a minimum of 600 clock hours on-site. Of these 600 hours, 240 clock hours shall be direct client contact hours. At least 10% of the direct contact time must be individual counseling. At least 10% of the direct contact time must be group counseling. See manuals for specific major requirements.

Rehabilitation Counseling students are required to complete a total of 6 graduate credits of RHB 8670 for a minimum of 600 hours at the internship site.


Artifacts are required for all majors except School Counseling. Information regarding artifacts (strands) can be found in the practicum and internship manuals for each major. It is important to review this information before submitting artifacts.

Artifacts are assignments from select classes that are prerequisites to practicum/internship. These specific assignments must be submitted and kept on-file for advisor review, in order to comply with University requirements. Below are checklists for the artifact requirements for each specialization. Please review in order to know which assignments must be submitted as artifacts.
Business & Organizational Management
Clinical Mental Health
Marriage & Family
RHB Severe Disabilities
RHB Chemical Dependency

Important dates
Following are deadlines for practicum and internship application (Appendix I), proof of professional liability insurance, program of study, and unofficial academic transcript. Contract (Appendix II), supervisor information sheet (Appendix III), copy of supervisor's license, site information sheet (Appendix IV), and copies of counselor trainee application form (for those working toward a PC or PCC license or working at a community mental health center) are due two weeks later. Questions should be addressed before the due dates. Deadlines are firm. No exceptions!

  Deadline for Application
Spring 2014 October 10
Summer 2014 February 15
Fall 2014 February 15

Practicum and Internship Manuals are available online (listing on the left of this page). Just click on the links and you can download the appropriate manual.

If you are looking for some help in picking out possible Practicum or Internship sites, there is a list of recent sites and supervisors (with contact information) available in 108 Allyn.

If you have any questions please contact your Program Advisor or the Graduate Assistant for practicum and internships, Brittany Lane.

Contacting the Human Services Graduate Assistant for Practicum and Internship
(Please note that email is the best way to reach the GA during the summer months!)

Office Phone: (937) 775-3916
Email: lane.37@wright.edu
Fax: (937) 775-2042

Information on various companies offering liability insurance is available in 108 Allyn. You do not need to be a member of a professional organization in order to get insurance. However, students are encouraged to join their respective professional organization.

Applications for membership to the:
American Counseling Association (ACA)
American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA)
National Rehabilitation Association (NRA)
American School Counseling Association (ASCA)